Thursday, June 19, 2014

Girls' Weekend in Brussels and Amsterdam

Spring semester I was a traveling all of the time! I just realized that in March alone, my presence was made in over 8 countries! Aren’t I lucky? I am unbelievably grateful! The voyage after going home was to head to Brussels, Belgium and Amsterdam, Netherlands. I traveled with my lovely Irish friend, Yvonne, and also got to spend a few days with my good friend, Malou from Fall semester (she’s Dutch!).

Brussels was a one day trip but Yvonne and I were able to see a lot of the city. Since the weather was rainy and gloomy, we decided to buy a 24 hour pass for the City Tours “hop on, hop off” bus which allowed us to see all of the major sites within Brussels. We even did some shopping and during the evening, we decided to head out and try some Belgian specialties to further enjoy our mini vacation. After an unforgettable night out, we packed up and caught our bus to Amsterdam.

This year I have also learned what it is like to travel on your own wallet instead of mom and dad’s. When we got to Amsterdam, Malou met us and we began our journey to the amazing hotel she was able to get us! This place was like a palace for us. The room was huge, the beds were comfy, and there was a bath tub! I was in heaven. We went and saw several sights that evening and enjoyed a nice dinner along the water. The next day we checked out an awesome street market and bought food for a picnic in the park. I love the atmosphere in Amsterdam, it is very relaxed, very beautiful, and easy to enjoy. Plus, the diversity of the inhabitants is entertaining as well as eye-opening.


This girls’ weekend was one of the most fun vacations I have had and I am so thankful to have friends that I can travel with and those from around the world that I can visit in their home countries. I have pieces of my heart scattered across the globe now!
Atomium Sculpture, Brussels
Yvonne, Malou, and I

1 comment: