Saturday, January 4, 2014

Noël à Strasbourg!

Upon my arrival, I surprised myself by how fearlessly I handled things. Ever since I’ve come to France, I have gone and done. No thinking, no nervousness, I just go and enjoy life. I met Philippe and he welcomed me and offered me plenty of advice on what to do and where to go. The apartment is nestled just outside of la centre-ville and has a gorgeous view of the Notre Dame.  After he explained different things about the apartment, he left to finish his Christmas shopping and I went to explore.


I decided to start first at the Notre Dame. Christmas markets lined the streets and millions of people were out enjoying the holiday décor and festivities. It is absolutely amazing how many people travel here for Christmas (2 million). I heard French, German, English, and many other unidentifiable languages. I entered the cathedral and enjoyed a little program put on by local children and lit a prayer candle. I enjoyed seeing the nativity, tapestries, and Napolean figurines displayed at the church. After, I decided to people watch and have the traditional vin chaud! Mmm.

 After speaking with a few locals
who were very welcoming and friendly, I went to a traditional Alsacienne restaurant called a Win Stub and had the only thing a vegetarian could have: soup a l’oignon et une salade avec fromage Alsacienne. I had a cozy little table to myself and really enjoyed the meals.It was the perfect atmosphere for the season and it paired nicely with my Christmas beer.

I easily found my way back to the apartment where Philippe had prepared a degustation of wine. I got to try a Pinot Noir from the region as well as a sweet white wine. It was nice to speak with a native about his culture and the history of Strasbourg. It is incredible how the different regions in France have a strong personal identity with different traditions, food, and ways of life.

The next day (Xmas Eve), Philippe toured me around the city a bit before leaving for Christmas Eve dinner with his family. I also decided to take a boat tour around the city and learned a lot about the city and different buildings that surrounded me. I had no idea how old this area is! I became familiar enough with the city to seek out an Italian specialty store where I bought tortellini that I would prepare for my meal. I decided that shopping in the specialty stores would be the best way to experience my very own French Christmas. I stopped at a Wine Cellar and chose a local brew and went to the patisserie next door for my crème brûlée cake! 

 I was lucky enough to speak to a lot of my family on the phone and wish them a Merry Christmas. On Christmas Day, I was able to Skype with my Dad, Alison, Brooklyn, and family! Brooklyn loved all of her gifts, including a trampoline from Santa!


 I think that this Christmas taught me what the season is really about. I learned what it is like to be separated from those whom you love and share memories with, and I believe it is an important and unique lesson learned. I was lucky not to feel lonely, only grateful that God was allowing me to experience a Christmas unlike any other!

Joyeux Noël! 






2 comments:

  1. We missed you at Christmas this year, but are so glad we have been able to keep in touch with you via Skype and Facebook. Technology does wonders.
    I've read a lot about the Christmas markets in France, and it makes me want to plan a winter trip. Did you see a lot of things at the markets that you can't find in stores?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hard to go to bed on Christmas eve without watching our traditional "Muppets Christmas" together, but I knew you were on a special adventure. The pictures from Strasbourg look amazing!

    ReplyDelete