Tuesday, May 6, 2014

My Mom and Chris Come to Visit!

My study abroad experience has been incredible and I have been so fortunate to make such close friends that can be considered family. I must say, though, that after seven months of not seeing any of my family members in person, I was ecstatic to see my mom and her boyfriend Chris when they came to visit me!


I felt so excited to give them a tour of my life in France and show them how wonderful it is here. We were able to see a lot of interesting parts of Rennes, including the Mairie (town hall) where we were given a private tour! We also got to explore Mont St. Michel, which I have posted about before. We had a picnic with a gorgeous view of the Abbey in the background and cute sheep in the forefront.


My favorite part of their stay was journeying to the beaches of Normandy and visiting American Memorial and Cemetery.  The museum and grounds were so well done and an excellent tribute to those who gave their lives for a more peaceful world. Going through the museum, you could read a war timeline as well as learn about the everyday items soldiers used and personal stories from certain families. The Cemetery was also very well presented, looking out over the sea.


After an emotional tour, we took a walk down to Omaha beach and reflected on what we had just reexamined. The impact this experience had on me highlights the idea that all of us are citizens of the world and we rely on each other. A lot can be learned from history and the individual stories of our ancestors.

My parents and I enjoyed being reunited and taking in so much history together. A weekend was too short but I know they enjoyed the remainder of their Eurotrip!

Mont St. Michel

American Memorial and CemeteryNormandy American Memorial

4 comments:

  1. That's so cool they had a car so you could visit some places in France that are harder to get to. I think going to war memorials are even more special when you have family members who have served in the military.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having the car did make it a lot easier to do day trips. We saw a lot of countryside too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the most fabulous trip I've been on yet. The French countryside has stolen my heart. It is absolutely gorgeous. The best part was seeing my little bug and know she's a fully-functional adult with a very unique experience to share with future generations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you Alex and all of the great adventures you've had in France. So proud of you girl!!! :)

    ReplyDelete